Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Heart is a Bloom

Valentines' Day is upon us and while I wait until February 15th to make off like a bandit with cheap candy, I plan to listen to the radio/songza/my iPod. I have a soft spot for love songs as I think it's hard to write a good one.

----

The Sweet
I reckon no one can write a love song like Hawksley Workman. So much so that it was hard for me to pick just one. I was going to pick "Merry Christmas (I Love You)" or "Chemical" but I think "Safe and Sound" is one of his best songs. The imagery is just so beautiful. Every time I've seen him in concert, he sings it like he's in love for the very first time. Gorgeous!



No looking back, no turning into salt.
The city was crumbling but, baby, we're not to fault.
When things got too rough, I promised you we'd leave.
You're safe and sound with me.
----

As a child, my dad and my grandfather were heavily into Johnny Cash. I imagine "I Walk The Line" is the first song I heard as a baby as it is associated with so many good memories for me. My dad used to sing it to me when I was a little girl when we drove somewhere and he'd made me laugh when he'd do a finger puppet dance for the chorus. I love that it's a song about devotion that is conscious about the danger of temptation.

You've got a way to keep me on your side
You give me cause for love that I can't hide
For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide
Because you're mine, I walk the line
----

Love songs don't have to be about sexual love. I am of the opinion that the best love songs are the ones that can be about platonic love. When I write, I usually have a song that I pick that sums up a character or a situation. I had been looking for the perfect song to sum up the relationship between a father and his daughter and I thought "Yellow" by Coldplay was the perfect song. I think it's the anthem of parental love. If there is one person you'd bleed yourself dry for, it's your child.

 Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do.
----
The Bittersweet
 Maybe it's the pessimist in me but I love love songs with a bittersweet edge. The sort of song about longing for someone that either can't be with you or won't be with you. Why? I guess Spock can sum it up best:
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting
---- 

I don't know how country music got such a bad rep because it contains such gems! This is a particular favourite of mine. I remember hearing it in some movie and I had to look it up immediately to hear the whole thing. The last chorus just breaks my heart where she begins it with an edge and then just softens like she's giving in that her love isn't coming back. Tears.

 I walk for miles
Along the highway
Well that's just my way of saying I love you
----
I'm still bitter that I haven't ever seen Nick Cave in concert. As a teen, I was heavily into his music after seeing him performing in the movie Wings of Desire. I really like his dark "love" songs like "From Her to Eternity" (my favourite song) and "Loverman". "Into My Arms" has that bit of darkness but it's more sorrowful especially now after I read that Nick wrote it after a long-term relationship of his ended. With that in mind, it seems to be a song about hoping for the best for someone while still secretly wishing they'll realize they belong with you.

And I don't believe in the existence of angels
But looking at you I wonder if that's true

But if I did I would summon them together
And ask them to watch over you 

----
There's two songs by U2 that, when I hear them on the radio, I have to stop and listen to the whole thing. One is "With or Without You" and the other is "All I Want is You". They're both songs you need to hear through to the end especially All I Want is You. U2 have loads of songs about love that don't end happily but this one is just the most tear jerking. I remember hearing it for the first time live and it was the one song I immediately shut up to hear (only speaking up when everyone in the audience sang the last chorus). When Edge played the guitar solo, I wanted him to play it all night. It just reminds me of the storm of emotions you go through when a relationship ends: the sadness, the longing, the pain, everything.
But all the promises we made
From the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you 

 ----
Lastly....

The Sexy

Who says you can't lovingly tell a person you want to sex them all over? My personal faves.

"Glorybox" by Portishead.

I'm so tired of playing,
Playing with this bow and arrow,
Gonna give my heart away,
Leave it to the other girls to play. 

"Slow" by Kylie Minogue.

You know what I'm sayin'
And I haven't said a thing
Keep the record playin'

"If You Wear That Velvet Dress" by U2
I've been good 'cause I know you don't want me to.
 ----
Let me know some of your faves! My iPod is ever in need of more songs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment